Sunday, April 30, 2017

New York, New York

I figured it's about time to write about my trip to New York City last month. It was my fourth time in the city, and every time I go, I leave even more in love with it. 

We went for my sweet friend Anna's 21st birthday. Kind of crazy, right? We got this idea in our head, found some cheap flights, got her mom on board, and off we went to the city that never sleeps! I've never done NYC quite like we did that weekend - usually I do the typical "touristy" things, but this time, we did it up like true New Yorkers. 

We stayed on Park Ave in Manhattan at an amazing hotel - I felt so fancy! When we got to the city, we went to the most amazing hidden bar called Beauty & Essex. It looks like a pawn shop, but when you go in and give them your name and reservation, they take you to the bar and restaurant. Seriously such a cool place - they even were giving out free champagne in the bathroom!

 ^ At Beauty & Essex where Anna ordered her first drink right at midnight!

We explored the city throughout our three days there. We went to the Met for a classic gossip girl picture on the front steps, which unfortunately got a little messed up from the rain! Then, we went to Serendipity for the classic frozen hot chocolate (it's as delicious as it sounds). That night, we went and got some good food and then made our way to a rooftop bar on 5th and Madison. We drank Manhattans while looking at Manhattan - it was definitely a night for the books!

^ Obligatory Madison Avenue picture!

^ Channeling our inner Serena van der Woodsen


^ About to drown ourselves in Serendipity frozen hot chocolate

^ just look at this!!!


The next day, we went to the top of the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center, Chelsea Market, and Madison Square Park. I'm not sure how we accomplished all of that in one day, but we did! With aching feet, we walked all around the city. That night, we went to Chicago. My life was MADE - as a dancer, Chicago was life changing. I cried tears of joy when they did Cell Block Tango, I Can't Do It Alone, and pretty much everything else. I had the chills throughout the whole show! It was such dream. Then we made our way to Times Square and the Empire Hotel for some cocktails.





On our last day, we went to the 9/11 memorial. It was so, so beautiful. I couldn't help but feel so moved by what I saw. I felt so lucky to see it and pay my respects. It was one of the most memorable parts of the trip. Then, we made a trip to SoHo for some shopping and one last meal before our flight home. Funny story about the trip to the airport - so many Subway stations were closed for construction since it was a Sunday, so our supposed one hour Subway trip to JFK Airport turned into the worst 3 hour subway trip. I was literally having a panic attack on the Subway thinking we were going to miss our flight, and having to haul our luggage all around the city was seriously exhausting... good times, good times.


Throughout our time in NYC, we used the Subway everyday. By the end of it, I considered myself a Subway pro. Is it weird that the Subway was one of my favorite parts of the trip? I don't know why, but hopping from train to train gave me an adrenaline rush and made me feel like a true New Yorker!



This trip was honestly the trip of a lifetime. To be in one my favorite places in the world with my best friend was amazing! We ate the best food, had the best drinks, and had the best time. I feel so lucky I was able to go. Until next time New York!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment