Friday, January 18, 2013

New York, New York


My final today in creative writing class was simple. We could write poetry or prose about whatever we wanted - person, place, or thing. Naturally, I chose New York. I really liked my final result. It's not as deep as poems usually are, but I liked it.


dark cement, lingering with the traces of people
a tall ballerina leaving an audition
a buisnessman carrying a briefcase
a lonely, aged man searching for refuge

a swirl of yellow speeds by
horns honking in agitation
a man drops a penny face up
another man bends down to retrieve it

the sky is darkening, the sun is waving goodbye
 tall buildings are hiding the moon
bright lights are blocking the stars
but those same bright lights serve as their own stars

people walk home with heavy shoulders and tired eyes
some holding hands
some looking down
all looking weathered

but in their weathered bodies live city dreams
of hot dogs on the corner
of cozy lofts high above the busy streets
of "hole in the wall" diners and the "worlds best cup of coffee"

this place is an art form
with its own language
its own colors
its own religion

this place is New York
New York, New York








*these pictures were taken two summers ago when my family and I went to New York City

0 comments:

Post a Comment