Wednesday, May 28, 2014

15 Year Old Me

As our last english assignment of the year (and of my high school career), my teacher asked us to write a letter to our younger selves. I thought a lot about the different ages that needed some advice, but I felt like 15 was the most pertinent. That was a tough time for me (middle school was rough, let me tell ya) and as graduation looms closer and close (JUNE 5TH!) I thought reflecting on the age before I started high school was perfect. So, here it is.

Dear 15 year old me,
            I know life is hard. Like, really hard. You’re in middle school and everything sucks. You feel unhappy, useless, sad, and hopeless. You stress about everything and want to disappear from it all. But trust me, it’s about to get better. Way better.
            You’re going to go to high school and everything will change. You’ll discover things about yourself and figure out who you truly are. You’ll meet your high school sweetheart (stay away from any boy that’s not named John… they’ll just waste your time) and you’ll lead a team of 60 girls. You’ll even get into the school of your dreams (sorry to ruin the surprise). You’ll learn that it’s okay to be a kid again. You’ll realize that you aren’t cooler than your parents… in some ways, they are cooler than you. You’ll see that hanging out with your family, writing, and reading brings you more joy than anyone high school party can. Yes, you’ll run into some troubles along the way (math, mean girls, etc.) but in the end, you’ll see that you come out on top. You’ll graduate feeling nothing but happiness.
            In high school, you’ll still be the quiet, skinny, blonde girl that you always have been, but you’ll accept it. Because that’s who you are and there’s no point in changing yourself. You’re special, and somehow, high school will prove that to you.

With love,
    Madison



0 comments:

Post a Comment